The Fast Track Instructor Scheme
If you'd like to develop a career in the outdoors, our well-established fast track training programme could provide the ideal launch pad.
Over this intensive and exciting four-month training period you'll work towards a clutch of National Governing Body Awards, gather a huge amount of experience and develop your personal skills.
What's more, when you leave you'll take with you the respect and recognition that comes with having been trained at the National Mountain Centre
Rubbing shoulders with the instructors, you'll stay in on-site accommodation seven days a week at Plas y Brenin, even though your course only runs Monday to Friday. That way there will be options to either join in with other courses taking place at the weekends or simply go climbing or paddling with your new-found friends at the National Mountain Centre. What's more, you'll enjoy three hearty meals a day, overlooking Snowdon in our scenic dining room.
Check out this short video put together media students from Salford University, showcasing the Fast Track Instructor Scheme.
During this intensive and exciting course you'll receive personal skills training in kayaking, open canoeing, hill and mountain walking, rock climbing, orienteering, first aid, risk awareness and hazard management.
As part of a personalised programme, you may complete coaching and leadership training courses for the following CWA, SPA, WGL, ML Summer, REC First Aid at Work, BCU/UKCC Level 1 Certificate and British Cycling Level 2 in Mountain Bike Leadership Training.
For those with a greater range of experience, and perhaps some of the above qualifications, it may be possible to work towards or complete some of the following - ML Winter, IML training, MIA training, BCU/UKCC Level 2 Certificate, BCU WW Safety and Rescue and REC First Aid Trainer.
At the end of four months with us you'll be able to look back on an incredible experience, during which you will have:
- Been Coached by the leaders in the field.
- Paddled and climbed alongside the most experienced coaches and instructors in the country.
- Been able to use the Plas y Brenin name to open doors in the outdoor industry.
- Benefited from our vast array of experience working in the outdoor industry.
- Received input from long-term career professionals every day.
- Had access to a fantastic range of equipment.
- Stayed in excellent accommodation in the beating heart of the UK Outdoor scene.
- Trained in a variety of teaching and coaching styles.
- Spent 4 months with like-minded people.
- Had the greatest chance possible to achieve your potential as a climber, paddler, mountain biker and mountaineer.
- Had access to a mentor at every stage of your development.
- Worked towards gaining a wide variety of National Governing Body qualifications - given your start point experience.
- Saved up to 10 days of assessment credits at Plas y Brenin so you can return later in the year to attend National Governing Body assessment courses free of charge.
To help streamline your career development even further, our staff will be able to guide you through registration with each of the necessary national governing bodies helping you to understand the progression and pre-requirements for each scheme. You will be expected to cover the cost of each registration yourself.?The course cost includes all meals, accommodation and equipment hire during the four months.
Cost and Duration:
£11,100 (80 Days + 5 Consolidation Days)
14th Aug - 8th Dec 2017
(8 places remaining)
8th Jan - 27th April 2018
(11 places remaining)
Download our Fast Track Useful Information Pack which is packed with all the information you need to know.
Fast Track Instructor Scheme Open Day (1st May, 18th Sep)
If you're interested in our Fast Track Instructor Scheme why not come and find out more on one of our free open days.
Dates for 2017 open days
- Monday 1st May
- Monday 18th September
During the day you'll get an overview of the scheme, a tour of the centre, develop an action plan to identify how the scheme can benefit you, and enjoy an individual chat with Fast Track co-ordinator Helen Teasdale, and the chance to squeeze in a little outdoor activity.
The open day is from 9am-5pm and we'll provide you with a hearty lunch. If you'd like to stay the night before or after the open day, we can provide Bed and Breakfast for £36 per person per night.
To book your place please phone 01690 720214