COMPANY SECRETARY / COMPANY SECRETARY SERVICES
Organisation: Mountain Training Trust
Hours and Salary / Fees: Negotiable
What are we about?
Plas y Brenin is the National Mountain Sports Centre owned by Sport England and managed by the Mountain Training Trust (a registered charity) that was established in 1997 for the advancement for the public benefit of education, training and skills for the conduct of safe mountain-walking, canoeing, climbing, hill walking, orienteering, mountaineering, skiing and other outdoor recreation activities, generally those that take place in cliff and mountain environments.
Our mission in life is to provide inspirational leadership and training in the outdoor sector through innovation, creativity and the use of iconic locations to ensure our customers receive the best possible experience in a financially sustainable manner.
We are based in Capel Curig, in the heart of the Snowdonia National Park, with other national and international links, so we are very well placed to achieve what we set out to do.
What do we need?
We are open to how we get what we need – either through engagement with an individual or working with an organisation that provides professional company secretariat support.
In 2016 we completed a review of our governance arrangements; there has been a “refresh” of our governance protocols and procedures. We now require the services of a qualified and experienced person to work with the Chair of the Board, Non-Executive Board Directors and the Chief Executive Officer in moving to “new ways” of working. You will be required to advise all concerned in following the necessary and “legally required” path – so to get it right - and ensure we are a well governed entity. This includes helping us ensure we treat separately the affairs of the charity, the Mountain Training Trust, and its trading subsidiary, Mountain Training Limited.
We are fortunate enough to have many stakeholders who are keenly interested and excited about our business. An important part of this role is to understand their individual perspectives and to provide the necessary legal guidance and support to the Board that not only stands external scrutiny, but results in a balanced, representative and fair process of governance that enables the achievement of the aims and objectives of the forward looking business plan.
The person we need will most importantly have had significant experience of working as a Company Secretary at Board level, monitoring, advising and pointing out requirements to ensure compliance. It is about having an understanding of what is permissible and also what is not within the rules. It is vitally about having the ability to challenge where needed and the diplomatic skills to steer and guide others with differing perspectives to work successfully together and in accordance with required governance protocols. Important though they are, this role is far more than just organising meetings and recording minutes.
What else is needed?
The following is a summary list, not an exhaustive one, of what we see as being the main features of the role and the type of skills and experience we are looking for.
- Advise the Board on compliance with all relevant legislation including Charity and Company Law (as described above, a most important duty).
- Provide advice and training on governance and constitutional matters including legal responsibilities of Trustees/Non-Executive Directors.
- Contribute to the creation of a high performing board, ensuring we are fully aligned to the new Governance Code for Sport in the UK.
- Provide advice on a range of related issues including adherence to good standards of governance, application of the organisation’s scheme of delegation and the requirements of the Charities Commission.
- Prepare for and attend board meetings, subcommittee meetings and the AGM.
- Develop the charity’s governance manual.
- Help set agenda, take responsibility for board papers collation and distribution, and produce minutes for the meetings.
- To carry out all duties with due regard to confidentiality and data protection regulations.
- To undertake such additional duties as are reasonably commensurate with the level of this post.
E = Essential D = Desirable
- Experience of working as a Company Secretary, or equivalent to the Board (E)
Your skills and abilities
- Demonstrate effective communication, interpersonal and organisational skills (E)
- Influencing skills with the ability to persuade others to follow process/protocol (E)
- Ability to interact with both Board members and senior managers effectively to enable the organisation to meet its legal responsibilities (E)
- Ability to produce accurate, relevant minutes of meetings (E)
- The delivery of training and knowledge transfer to Board members (E)
Your education qualifications and knowledge
- Educated to degree level or equivalent (E)
- ICSA accredited (D)
- Good working knowledge of governance and best practice in this field (E)
- Good working knowledge of charitable law (D)
What else is important?
- Flexible and available to attend Board meetings in evenings and at other times as required (E).
- Possess integrity and the ability to keep information confidential at all times (E).
- Personal resilience with the ability to cope with professional challenge (E).
A commitment to equality and diversity
- Ability to understand and demonstrate commitment to equality and diversity (E)
What you need to do next?
If you are an individual, you should submit a CV together with a covering letter outlining any specific competencies that they could bring to this role. You should include details of two referees (who will only be contacted if successful).
If you are a company, you should submit an overview of the services you provide with indicative costs.
Applications should be marked private and confidential and sent by email to the MTT Chief Executive, Jackie Bryson at
The closing date for application is 5pm on Sunday 19th February 2017. Discussions with short listed candidates / organisations will be held in early March at
Plas y Brenin,
The National Mountain Sports Centre
Snowdonia LL24 0ET.
Ideally any appointment would be with immediate effect.
Independent Directors to the Mountain Training England Executive and Board
Fancy having a key role in the management of Mountain Training England?
We are currently recruiting for two new independent non-executive directors to join our Board. We are looking for people with skills in marketing, fund raising, finance and business strategy. Sport England's new Code of Governance sets the bar for diversity at 30% male/female split; therefore we are especially interested to receive applications from suitably experienced women.
For more information about these opportunities, job descriptions and how to apply click here.
Sport England's Code of Governance click here.
Zip World Seasonal Instructor - 2017
Zip World opened in 2013 with 8 employees running the fastest zip line in the world from a porta cabin. Three years later, the Zip World Family has grown to nearly 250 employees operating eleven unique adventures at three stunning locations in north Wales.
Zip World aims to be the most successful, people focused, location based, adventure tourism brand in the world with the provision of exciting and shared adventure experiences in unique environments.
Weekends, bank holidays, school holidays are our busiest times. Your working hours will be reflective of this.
We require the very best to join our fast growing team. We need energetic, articulate and passionate staff focused on delivering an excellent service to our discerning customer base.
It is not essential to hold a host of qualifications in relation to the outdoors although we do require all instructing staff to hold a recognised, in date, first aid certificate to emergency first aid at work level. If you do not currently hold such a qualification, you will be required to complete a course organised by Zip World on commencement of your employment at a cost to yourself.
Essential requirements and skills
- Is highly motivated
- Ability to positively interact with a wide range of groups and individuals
- Have an exceptionally high regard for safety
- Able to follow strict procedures consistently and repeatedly
Contracts are 0hr. We would envisage you working between 30-40hrs per week during the summer months. Following completion of a summer season there will be a limited number of winter contracts available.
You shall be paid at the National Minimum Wage rate for the training week only. On successful completion of the training week, your rate of pay shall increase to £8.50. Once all competencies/criteria have been met, your hourly rate will rise to £9.48 per hour.
Applying couldn't be easier…
If you require further information and/or to see the Job Description, please contact Imogen Lloyd or Hannah Barratt at firstname.lastname@example.org. To apply for this role please complete an online application form at www.zipworld.co.uk/about-us/jobs.
We require instructors for all 3 sites to start by March 2017, with some possible intakes between March and June.
Zip World Velocity, Penrhyn Quarry, Bethesda, Gwynedd, LL57 4YG
Zip World Titan, Llechwedd Slate Caverns, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd¸ LL41 3NB
Zip World Fforest, Llanrwst Road, Betws Y Coed, LL24 0HA
Although you may gain employment at one Zip World site you may be asked to work across other sites.
Your application form will be reviewed on receipt; if you are successfully shortlisted you will receive an invite to one of our sites for our group interviews. Contract offers are subject to reference checks.
You need to possess the legal right to live and work in the UK to be considered for employment with Zip World. Zip World is committed to the principles of equality and diversity and welcome applicants from all sectors of the community.