Mock Student Opportunities at Plas y Brenin
During the year we run training and assessment courses in various activities at Plas y Brenin. In order to make the courses as authentic as possible we use 'mock' students so that the candidates can accurately display their tuition and/or assessing skills.
Being assessed for a high level qualification is a very stressful experience for the candidates and in order to provide them with as fair an assessment as possible we look for mock students who have enough but not too much, relevant experience and a high level of commitment to the day.
This is a great way to gain experience, confidence and free coaching! One of our experienced instructors will of course be closely supervising the candidates throughout the day.
The courses that we currently use mock students on are below, along with a brief outline of the level of mock student we are looking for.
Mountain Assessor Training Workshops
- This is an opportunity for ML Trainees to have a 'mock assessment' by candidates training as assessors.
Mountaineering Instructor Award Assessments and Re-assessments
- This is an opportunity for novice and intermediate climbers to progress their skills and gain further experience of multi-pitch climbing. Ideally you will have some experience of climbing on rock and the ability to second routes of severe standard or above. A willingness to learn, a reasonable level of fitness and an enthusiasm to do more climbing is essential!.
Mountaineering Instructor Certificate Assessments and Re-Assessments
This is an opportunity for summer rock climbers and/or winter hillwalkers and mountaineers to gain instruction whilst winter climbing. Two days of instruction are on offer that will aim to include the ascent of a multi-pitch winter route.
Climbing Wall Leading Award Assessments
- this is an opportunity for keen indoor climbers who would like to learn how to lead on an indoor wall. Only top-roping and belaying experience required.
BCU-UKCC Level 2 Coaching Paddlesport Assessments and Enhancement Courses
- this is an opportunity for novice paddlers to learn/develop their kayak and open boat skills. No previous experience required.
BCU-UKCC Level 2 Moderate Water Assessments
- this is an opportunity for flat water paddlers keen to be introduced to white water kayak, water water canoe or sea kayaking.
BCU-UKCC Level 3 Coaching Paddlesport Discipline Specific Assessments
- this is an opportunity for intermediate paddlers keen to be introduced to or develop their skills in white water kayak, white water canoe or sea kayaking.
BCU-UKCC 4 Star Leaders Award Assessments
- this is an opportunity for experienced paddlers (kayak, open boat or sea kayak) to have a guided day out, we would expect you to be already happy paddling at 4 star level (you do not need to hold the award). If you are looking to complete your four star then this a great opportunity to experience an assessment without being assessed and see what it is all about and the level expected.
BCU-UKCC 5 Star Leaders Award Assessments
- this is an opportunity for experienced paddlers (kayak, open boat or sea kayak) to have a guided day out, we would expect you to be already happy paddling at 5 star level (you not need to hold the award). If you are looking to complete your five star then this a great opportunity to experience an assessment without being assessed and see what it is all about and the level expected.
What do I need to do next?
For more detailed information on the requirements and opportunities available including dates and how to register please click here.
If you are interested in any of the opportunities please download the mock student information form here, and return by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please don't forget to include specific courses and dates you are interested in.